Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting on the reunion committee

I never really considered asking to be on the planning or organizing committee.  I wanted to simply offer whatever expertise I had to make things run better and maybe reach out better to those class members who aren't natural joiners.  So it was with a little surprise and consternation that I greeted Bob's suggestion that I join the committee.  But it really didn't matter in the end since we held no meetings or conference calls and spoke only with Bob and Becky.  It was a delightful experience not caring whether my input was received happily or used completely.  I made suggestions as to what we wanted to put in the Memory Book and in what format we wanted to distribute it. I discussed limitations of the web site and  how it could be used.  I helped Becky set up a system of archiving her work on the Memory Board that also made it possible for me to duplicate some of that work on the website if we got permission.  My name is all over the website more than I care to see, so I don't care if it is nowhere in the Memory Book except my own biography page.

When Becky sent out her "one and only memo" telling people how to submit their biography page and what to include, I realized that over-communicating wasn't going to be a problem here.  I decided to fill in the gap - although admittedly only with people who had working, verified email addresses.  I think Becky did make a few phone calls and I probably made a dozen but that was nothing compared to the volume of email.  That's the disorienting part of email - for much less work, I made a disproportionately large impact.

So what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment