Thursday, September 07, 2006

Annual spot check

As I've mentioned before, I have dozens of spots on my body and it just seems to be getting worse now with age as liver spots are joining the moles and freckles. For that reason I saw my doctor recently for my annual "spot check".

He did the usual overall examination. Then, at my insistence, he checked a couple of the spots a little more thoroughly. Interestingly, the ones that looked or felt the worst to me were of no concern to the doctor. He called them Seborrheic Keratosis (or skin barnacles) and pronounced them perfectly harmless. However, he did find three very small spots - one on my neck and one on each ear - that he labeled "pre-cancerous". His reply to my question about what that meant was "oh, over a long period of time they could become cancerous but they're nowhere close right now." Still, he fetched his liquid nitrogen "gun" and zapped those three pre-cancerous spots as well as three of the more gross looking harmless spots.

Now, except for six sore spots on my body, I feel much better.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, how much does it cost to get tham zapped and what does it look like afterward?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For our Kaiser doctor, it is just part of a routine office visit. I imagine it wouldn't be much for a non-HMO doctor either.

    The resulting scar is barely noticeable, sort of like a popped blister.

    ReplyDelete