Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Hailstorm

A couple days later and we might have had a white Christmas. Although it was threatening rain all day today, there weren’t more than a couple of drops until about 4:00 this afternoon. Then, it seemed the heavens opened. Torrents of rain pelted the ground and suddenly pea-sized pellets of white, frozen rain were bouncing off the pavement and melting in the flowing runoff of the rain.

Normally, I wouldn’t have even seen it but I was leaving work just then and had to walk the 100 feet from the office to my covered parking space. The hail hitting the corrugated roof of the parking shelter made a fearsome sound. I wondered if this was going to get worse on the way home.

As I drove out of the parking lot, the radio announced a thunderstorm warning for our area. Nickel-sized hail was predicted by the Doppler radar for the area. Now I really wanted to get home and out of the way of a storm that could leave dents in my car.

But just as quickly as it started, the hail stopped and turned to rain. Then the rain stopped. By the time I reached home there were even dry patches on our street. What weird Christmas weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment