Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sometimes snake oil works

I use the tern "snake oil" to represent any device, exercise, medicine, program, ceremony, or other activity that purports to heal or alleviate symptoms of disease and distress without scientific evidence or scientific explanation.  AS a general rule, I see no value in snake oil except as a placebo.  And I do believe in placebos.

The latest miracle cure is a machine to provide foot and ankle massage.  It feels somewhat like a dull-toothed crocodile trying to chew your leg off.  I find it irritating and sometimes painful.  Most other people find it tickles or pleasantly massages.  But whether I enjoy the feeling or not, using the dang machine seems to be reducing somewhat the swelling in my left foot and completely eliminating the swelling in my right foot.

We dropped by the sales display in Costco, tried out the machine, and said definitely NO.  I didn't need a machine that felt like it was killing me.  But that evening the evidence of some decrease of swelling was evident.

Santa brought me a machine.

Feet go in this side

Extension to massage legs and calves

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year
    Štastny Novy Rok
    Честита Нова Година
    Feliz año nuevo

    ReplyDelete
  2. " It feels somewhat like a dull-toothed crocodile trying to chew your leg off." Oooohhhh, I am gonna be laughing at that all night!

    ReplyDelete