Sunday, February 06, 2011

Fences

Every once in a while a program comes along that is simple, well written, and does exactly what it purports to do.  The software I am reviewing today has the added virtue of being free.  The software is Fences from Stardock.

Ever since Windows 95 came out, I have been a Desktop junkie.  Dropping things on the desktop just makes them so much more accessible to other programs.  That's one reason my computer screen is as cluttered as my real desktop. But I also like to be able to see what is on my desktop and where it is.  So I'm forever cleaning up and straightening out my desktop icons.  I find myself longing for the orderliness of the Windows 3.1 desktop and its separate program groups.

Well, I found the answer - Fences.  This program allows you to draw several "fenced" rectangles on your wallpaper or it will draw several for you.  Then, inside these fences you can drag and drop programs, files, shortcuts, basically anything that can go on the desktop.  If you put too many icons in the box it automatically sprouts a scroll bar.  The fenced rectangles can be moved and resized and even, once you get them how you like  them, locked.

Files or shortcuts sent to the desktop after installing fences are placed in unfenced areas and are thus much easier to see and work with.  There is even a provision for making all the screen icons disappear although I can't think why that would be helpful.

All that for no cost.  What a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment