Sunday, February 27, 2011

My heart skips a beat

Two times in one day is two times too many!

A couple of days ago a friend asked if he could borrow $20 from me until payday.  I said sure knowing that I had the money and he was good for it. I reached into my pocket to find ... NOTHING.  My mind starting thinking in all directions at once:  Did it fall out as I was getting out of the car?  When did I last have it?  "If it's really missing, who do I start calling?  But I was calmly saying, "My wallet's in my car. Let me go get it".

It was in my car, on the passenger seat.  I had filled my tank with gas and just hadn't put the wallet back in my pocket.  Giving my friend a $20 bill, I noticed that I was getting low on cash so I decided to stop at my bank on the way home.

I pulled up to the drive-up ATM, pulled out my wallet, and ... no ATM card!  Now what? Again I begin thinking of all the horrible things that might have happened or was happening now. When did I last  use the card?  When did I last use any of my credit cards? Should I call and cancel the missing ATM card?

Then I wondered if the last time I used the card was in this same drive-up ATM to make a deposit.  With no cast to put in my wallet, I might have left the card on the seat.  But I would have seen it, wouldn't I?  Not if it slid down between the seat and back cushions.  There's a little pocket there in my car; things don't automatically fall to the floor in back.  Sure enough, after reaching through the crack and retrieving oneo penny, two pretzels, and a half dozen sales receipts, I also found the missing ATM card.  Whew! another close call.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE it when those things happen. Glad you could be calm about it and work it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found them. It's an awful feeling. A while back, I made a purchase at Costco with my Amex card, came home and it wasn't in my wallet. Looked all over and NEVER found it. Called Costco to see if it had been dropped there and turned in...no. So had to cancel and get new card.

    ReplyDelete