Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I'm part of the banking system!

I don't like banks.  I don't like their rules, the stifling atmosphere, the feeling that my every move is being watched and recorded.  Call it paranoia but it is the way I feel.  And it is probably the reason I've been in our bank less than a dozen times in the past 40 years.  I do as much by mail as possible and at drive-through tellers otherwise.

This week I took one more step to take fewer steps into a bank.  Instead of depositing a check through the mail or drive-through atm I "phoned it in"!

Golden One Credit Union has the ability to accept deposited checks that have been photographed with a smart phone or scanned on a regular scanner.  It was simple enough:

1.  Endorse the check as you normally would
2.  Run the check deposit app
3.  Enter the amount of the check
4.  Take a picture of the front and back sides of the check (the program reminds you to have good lighting and hold the camera steady)
5.  Press "Transmit".  The check cleared  over night.

When the Automated Clearing House changed the rules to eliminate returning all canceled checks they made it possible to use a photocopy as proof of the check and thus made it possible for me to be part of the bank.  And I love not visiting my bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment