Monday, February 18, 2013

What's in a Name or whose zoo


Imagine waking up in a strange place, in a strange bed, surrounding by busy strangers speaking a language you don't understand.  It's no wonder that some people speak of a hospital experience as "scaring them to death".  Given the size of the city where I live, there is a pretty good chance of my doing just that.  My recent hospital stay illustrates this perfectly.  From the ER to my waking moments three days later in the Intensive Care Unit I have absolutely no memory.  A glance at the WhiteBoard posted to the wall in front of my bed, however, gives us hope that hospitals try to minimize this problem by helping patients begin to make connections.

On the Whiteboard  next to the name Arnold is the tile Wife followed by Carolyn and a number that is vaguely familiar.  With nothing else in my memory I could reasonably assume that I am a married man whose wife can be easily reached at the number listed.  Other names and numbers give me similar assurance that other friends and relatives are available.  Equally important are names of my care staff and consultants who are scheduled to meet today or tomorrow to resolve my case.

People walk in and out of my room, some without even introducing themselves or stating where they fit in my case.  All of them have a name badge around their neck identifying the person, the hospital, the department, and even the "rank" or type of employee such as rat catcher.  This indicates that this hospital takes security and confidentiality serious, an attitude that is increasingly common.   

This hospital is sort of stuck between time periods when addressing me.  Nurse and doctors usually call me by my last name as in "Good Morning, Mr. Loveridge." However, there is a trend that more and more professionals want to appear as the patients'colleagues and often call patients by first name.  Then the large number of suppot staff who will just "yes,sir" or no sir when I'm in earshot.  

Some ehinic groups have developed thei own name system which they use primarily with therapy.  I was called PaPa a lot, "Come on, Poppy", a name that I hope includes the respect due to seniors as much as it does age or familiarity.  Mr. Looooveridge, did you spill on the bed?"  "Okay, Honey, Let's walk a little."  Oh, Siiir.  You'll have to be careful tonight. Can my sweety be careful.  I just removed Sweety's catheter and gave Sweety a big sleeping pill."   Such people are interesting and talented but their speech pattern can be annoying .  

No comments:

Post a Comment