Saturday, September 12, 2015

Whatever happened to 2014 (and most of 2015)?

If you look at this blog in a sequential or linear way, you'll probably notice a laarge gap between this entry and the one before.  There are many reasons for that ranging from being way too busy to fearing that I may suffer from overexposure.  I'm at heart a very private person but I also like to share information , thoughts, and ideas with others.  That produces a bit of a contradiction.  What if people read my blog and treat me differently because of what they read?  I sense that could be a real problem in my DMV series.   I don't know if my case would have gone differently without my blog but there's every reason to believe it might.

But I'm rapidly reaching the point in my life when it won't matter.  Not having a paid job I can't be fired or have my salary cut.  After I stop driving it won't matter whether I have a license or not.  Perhaps then I'll be free to be more open once again.

--------------------------

First, I'd like to dust off the old resume and quickly bring you up to speed about my health situation.  The easiest way to do that is look at my condition on January 26, 2014 about 20  months ago.

My vital statistics, "measurements of life" haven't changed worth noting.  Its nice to know that my weight loss has remained but not so nice that bursitis has also.  I still have Parkinson's but its beginning to get on my nerves.  I can still drive but I'm more nervous about doing so.

My various responsibilities and "jobs" on the other hand, have changed considerably..  The biggest change is completely resigning from the regional center consulting.  It was beginning to get difficult for me to honestly claim that I was earning my fee.  Another responsibility was playing the piano for Sunday church meetings - a responsibility I added this year and have just resigned.  Finally, I realized that the church newsletter I was editing was getting stale and taking too much energy to publish even in a poorly rendered state.  I will soon no longer be in town enough to keep up the paper so it too had to go. dOn the increase side I have gotten more involved as a Support Group Facilitator and I am definitely doing more as the Treasurer for the local branch Friends of the LIbrary. Overall, I would say my activity level could be as much as 50% less tha2 years ago.

My chances of dying took a significant jump recently when I was diagnosed with atrial fibulation or incomplete and inefficient beating of the ventricular atrium.  Left unattended this condition increases my chance for a stroke by 2.5 times and by a hemorhage maybe double.  Of course that's all theoretical if I die from a heart attack.  We'll speak in greater detail about this in another post.

I think of greater concern to me is mental agility or dementia.  I had understood that it was a minor portion of Parkinsons patients which have to deal with dementia, maybe 10% or so, like the general public.  But now I'm hearing numbers like 70% and I'm beginning to see that happening in my own world.  Ending the regional center contract was primarily a matter of forgetting from week to the next what I was doing or how I did it.  I see more and more of that with other things I do on the computer.  I will analyze this in more depth in an upcoming blog post.

++++++++++
need to research % of PP folks with dementia
risk of death with a-fib
impact of Carolyn's retirement

No comments:

Post a Comment