Friday, May 06, 2011

The next chapter in the history of Carolyn's Health

I suppose it really is time to officially open this next chapter because there is no longer any doubt that Carolyn is back in the ring against the formidable opponent Cancer.  Here is the announcement that Carolyn sent out to our children and I forwarded to our Facebook friends. I apologize for the duplication:


I decided that during my birthday month each year I would have a yearly physical, a mammogram, pap smear, blood tests et.al. In the process of doing this year's series a lump was found in my right breast. While the lump is on the small side (1.5 cm) the biopsy came back today as cancerous. It appears to be a combination Ductal and Lobular Carcinoma. At this time we do not know if it is non-invasive or if it has spread. I specifically asked to have it checked and verify that it is not lymphoma (and there is no indication that it is).

The next steps are an MRI of my breasts - they will inject a dye into my veins and then do a scan. After the MRI results are back I will have surgery. The results of the MRI will influence whether or not it is a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. I anticipate another round of chemotherapy. I told the doctor I wanted a boob job out of this game -- just as well be some benefit.

While another kind of cancer doesn't seem fair, I have been expecting something. I was raised in Northern Arizona during the time of the above ground Atomic Testing in Nevada. People in all the counties in Nevada, and in the southern counties of Utah and the northern counties of Arizona are all in an at-risk cohort. A statistically large number of people who were young during the 50s and 60s when they were doing the testing have had unexpected cancers. Two of my first cousins died in their early 30s from weird cancers - I feel like I have been very fortunate to have had a full and interesting life. However, this one isn't my swan song. I will survive this one to have another one in about three years.

If I can influence the scheduling of testing and surgery I will try to have the MRI this Friday, the surgery the next Friday and be ready to enjoy the Jazz Jubilee with Ben and Perry two weeks after that. When they go home, I will try and schedule the chemo and be ready for the Family Reunion in Utah the first part of August. Dad says that sounds like pure Carolyn. Since none of this has been discussed with medical personnel, we will see if they go along with my plan. 
I would appreciate your faith and prayers.
Carolyn

We were aware of a potential problem when we traveled to Utah for a family  funeral but since we didn't know at the time if the lump was even cancerous, we decided not to speak about it.  Besides there was enough tragedy in the family with Brian's passing.

Carolyn is beginning to be superstitioius about something happening every three years.  First there was her myasthenia and removal of a baseball-sized tumor  in her chest.  Then it was the removal of her thyroid.  Three years ago they discovered lymphoma in her stomach which resulted in major stomach surgery followed by months of chemo-  and radiation therapy.  She's an amazing lady to take it all so bravely.

She has several things going for her this time:  (1) She knows the drill better this time;  (2) the tumor is much smaller this time; (3) Northern California Kaiser has been named the best agency in this area for integrated  medical records; and (4) she appears to have a well-qualified team of doctors and medical personnel who have worked together on hundreds of similar cases.

We both appreciate the outpouring of love, concern, and kindness we have felt this past week.  It really is wonderful to have so many friends to stand by us when we're once again called to stand up to that monster Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment