Saturday, May 07, 2011

You're giving me a .... what?

Having more and more difficulty bending down to reach my feet, I can just barely clip my toenails, let alone clip them nicely.  So, the other day Carolyn told me to get in the car as we had an appointment in 15 minutes.  Where? I asked nonchalantly.  (Sometime I'm going to have to try asking chalantly.)  To the KB Salon was her answer.  For ... For a pedicure, she replied as it that was the end of the discussion.

I knew a pedicure is for feet what a manicure is for hands and that was the limit of my knowledge.  I strongly suspected that men seldom, if ever, frequented "salons".  Thus, I was NOT surprised to find that I was the only male customer.  I was not the only man in the place, however. There were a couple of other men who looked like they were on the staff.  In any case no fuss at all was made about my getting a pedicure.

My first impression of the salon was how clean it was, and orderly.  I would compare it to a good dental office.  Some of the staff were wearing face makes and all who worked with the customers wore sterile gloves.  The chairs all faced the same way and were just close enough that you could converse with your neighbor but far enough away that you didn't have to.  Between each pair of chairs was a utility table for magazines, drinks, and whatever else a customer might need during her stay.

The same time I was sitting down, one of the staff begin filling a small basin in front of me with warm water.  Into the water he squirted some blue liquid which didn't foam so I assumed it was either a disinfectant or something to soften toe nails.  The attendant showed me the chair controller.  Turns out there is a powerful massage engine built into the chair so while you're getting your nails done you can have a nice back massage.

The attendant took each of my feet in turn, placed it on a foot rest and began to clip my toenails. This was only a start.  Taking out a little tool that looked like a wire cutter, the attendant carefully sculpted my nails and surrounding tissue.  It was the about the "surrounding tissue" that I was concerned.  While she was cutting and scraping and sculpting it didn't hurt but I could picture some problems later.  After the toenails, she scraped and sanded my sole and heel then rubbed lotion into the whole foot and calf area.  She finished by wiping off the excess lotion and helping me put my shoes on.  She didn't offer to paint my nails with the bright red polish all the women were getting.

I let Carolyn take care of the payment and tips since she had a better idea what to do in that department. The whole process took almost an hour.

My feet were sore every once in a while during the following week but less each day.  In general, they look better and feel better so I might even have my toenails done on a weekly basis.  Thank you, Carolyn.  Once more you have surprised me with a "random event".

2 comments:

  1. My MIL does this from time to time. It is cheaper than a trip to the podiatrist to deal with ingrown toenails, and the podiatrist doesn't have the massage chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken Lee...he loved it, even if he won't admit it

    ReplyDelete