Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Slowing down or speeding up

Giving up a driving license is always a traumatic experience for people who have grown up with the freedom and flexibility to drive wherever we want without having to bother someone else.  (Most of us don't have a chauffeur at hand.)  And it is something that most of us have to deal with sometime.  Those of  us with a progressively disabling disease like Parkinson's just have to deal with it a little sooner.

A couple of people in my Parkinson's Support Group have shared with the group that they voluntarily gave up driving rather than push their luck.  I'm not at that point yet but I can feel that I'm creeping up on it.  Late in the evening, at night, or in rainy weather I feel much more uncomfortable driving than I used to.  Enough so that I have voluntarily cut back as much of that driving as I can.  Fortunately, Carolyn and I are usually going somewhere together during those difficult to drive times so it's usually not a problem.

At the same time I've requested additional physical therapy so that I can walk better and faster once I do get close to where I want to go.  I don't want to be stranded.

No comments:

Post a Comment