Sunday, October 09, 2011

First Class doesn't always mean most expensive

This is one of those "I'll bet everyone else in the whole world knows this and I'm just finding it out" type of blog posts.  I grew up in the era of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th class postage which were generally reserved for packages, books, magazines, and all other stuff that didn't "deserve" first class status which was always fastest and most expensive.  At least that is what I thought.

Well, recently I needed to mail a small package to Texas so before going to the Post Office I visited their web site to get an  idea of what this would cost me.  

After finding the "Get Prices" page on the USPS web site I filled out the bare basics of this package.  

The next page warned me that I would have to use 1st class "package" rather than just first class if it met certain criterium.  

I was then offered the rates beginning with the enticing words Express and Priority.  Note the prices are from $26 down to $17.  I'm beginning to think UPS might be better.  The small package flat rate Priority is only $4.95.  Maybe that's the way to go?


When I finally open the First Class section, it is more out of curiosity than anything else.  I can't imagine how expensive a package going first class must be.

But no!  Surprise!  First Class package rate is only two bucks.  Best bargain in town.  At this price I'll be back.



1 comment: