Friday, January 20, 2012

Money, money, money, money....

Once again I find myself with the title "Treasurer" after my name.  I'd probably complain more except that it is something I feel comfortable doing and, this is important for me, each treasurer position I have held has been a very different experience.  This time I have been asked to be the treasurer for the Carmichael Branch of the Friends of the Sacramento Public Library.  Our annual budget amounts to somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 considerably smaller than previous money management positions have been.

But probably the most unique aspect of this position is my involvement with cash, coins.  Now, don't get excited, anyone, the money is gone from our house as fast as it gets there, if it even gets there at all.  I just get it, count it, and see that it gets to the bank.  But there are more coins than I've ever had to deal with.  I feel like an amusement arcade operator.

The Friends display books in the library lobby, books that are used but in excellent condition.  For $2 or less you can buy books that would have cost $20 to $40 new.












On the honor system people drop the money into this lockbox













 which I periodically empty.  A recent emptying operations left a pile like this.  It looks like a whole lot of money, doesn't it?  Until you notice how many pennies are in the pile.

A major part of my job is to then sort and count all these coins using a cheap but effective coin sorter.




All the funds raised from these lobby sales goes back to the library to assist in purchasing equipment, furniture, books, materials, and sometimes even entertainment for the younger patrons.  Its a win-win situation all around.  And I get to be "the King ... in his counting house, counting out the money".

1 comment: