Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve appetizer

Our family has an old tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve and saving the rest until the next morning.  I don't know if the idea is to take the edge off  your  appetite so you can sleep through the night knowing that you got at least one present that was nice.  Or if instead whets your appetite and makes you even more sleepless so you'll zonk out after opening the rest of your presents on Christmas Day.

For me I've been down on the practice since the year I opened my Christmas Eve present to find a pair of sox, argyle sox.  While the other kids in the family got a  toy or a cool book I got sox.  I finally convinced myself that it meant I would have more fun gifts to open than they would the next morning but it was a hollow rationale.

Now I'm old enough to blame my parents for not being proactive enough to guide the selection of the Christmas Eve gift to be opened.  They should know which gift will have the desired effect.  On the other hand I know myself well enough to imagine that they did try to guide my choice and I obstinately rejected their suggestions.

At any rate at our age Carolyn and I know what we've each bought for the other so it really doesn't matter whether we open a gift on Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment