Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Tax Time again!!

No, you don't need to worry about starting on your own income tax  preparations although there are certainly tax preparation firms who are already notifying their clients to make use of the few remaining days of 2009 to get the full benefit of some tax reduction regulations.  And the major brands of tax preparation software have already issued their first PR pieces reminding you that they are once again going to confuse you about where to get the cheapest identical version of their program.  But the actual notice and tax forms sent out by the IRS as a sort of post-Christmas seasons greetings is still almost 4 weeks away.

But I had deposited on my doorstep today a three inch stack of IRS and AARP training manuals in preparation for a class and qualifying test that I will be participating in the latter half of January 2010.  Assuming I can pass the qualifying test, I am once again planning to be a tax aide as part of the IRS/AARP joint program for elderly and low-income taxpayers.  Last year we were able to submit all the returns electronically.  This year we will actually be using an online program to prepare the returns.  I'm just pessimistic enough to think that should slow us down about 20 to 30% but I hope to be proved wrong.

So if you see me celebrating Christmas a little too much this year, I'm probably just trying to get away from studying the (IRS) books.

No comments:

Post a Comment