Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Singing for Fun

A new semester.  A new class.  A new TYPE of class.  This won't be the first time I have tried an off-campus class through the Renaissance Society as last semester I had the frauds and schemes class.  But this is a singing class that I'm trying out this time.   Actually, I'm looking at it as much for therapy as
for fun.  My voice continues to less dependable.  Some days I don't notice a problem and other  times I can barely get out a word.

My Observations & possible meanings:
"Singing for Fun" is the name of the class.  It intrigues me.  I have dropped out of choirs before because they took themselves too seriously.  In those choirs, choir members criticized each other and the director and the director was just as direct with his criticism.  So "Singing for Fun" was a good start.

About 1/6 new members
To me this indicated a relatively stable group that was  still growing.

Lots of talking prior to the class start.
Although many people sat down, a goodly number continued walking around visiting.  I this is probably a good place to make friends.

"Music" was handed out..  
1.  Either Marilyn or Donna is organized, but  2. The music consists only of lyrics.  This indicates to me that the ability to read music will not be necessary nor will there be a serious effort to teach or  sing harmony.

The song selections are really golden oldies dating back to the 30s an d 40's
This reinforces the previous assumptions.

The first session seemed very disorganized.  
We sang each song through in order giving Donnq  an idea of how well we knew each tune and what key seemed best.  We'll have to see what future sessions look like.




No comments:

Post a Comment