Thursday, August 25, 2011

Time and relativity

I'm beginning to think that the speed of light is slowing down near me which is having the effect of speeding up all the clocks that measure my day.  Things that used to take 10 minutes take half an hour.  Things that I used to do in an hour now take three.  It's frustrating.

My library volunteering has been directly affected.  I was assigned as one of the workers with the "pick list", the list of books that people have requested to be set aside.  This reservation system continues to grow because it is so popular with the patrons.  Well, I could see my productivity tanking and the 2 to 3 hours of walking among the bookshelves wearing me out more and more.  So I asked for alternatives.

My main assignment now is to add RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification)  tags to as many books as possible and register those tags with the main library database.

The RFID tags we're using look to all the world like harmless address labels affixed to the back cover of each library book.  However,  if you could see inside, it looks like this:


You can read more about RFID devices and systems at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

Apparently three branches of the 28 branches in the Sacramento County library system already have all their books tagged  To check books out of these libraries you no longer have to scan individual books.   Just setting the whole pile on an RFID reader does the trick.  Although that might reduce bottlenecks, I suspect the library has not put out money just for this purpose.  The same system would certainly speed up checking books in which is a little more cost effective

No comments:

Post a Comment