Monday, July 16, 2012

High school class mortality rate

One of the reasons I wanted to get involved with our high school reunion this year was that I had felt left out of the last reunion.  Another reason is that we're not getting any younger.  In trying to find all 204 members of the Springville High Class of 1962 we duscivered that 41 of us, a full 20%, have partaken of that great graduation ceremony and pressumably join us in that great beyond.  That seems like an awfully lot but I haven't figured out whether it is higher or lower than another comparable group;  I've googled aand look at actual mortality tables but that isn't helping me much.  Can anyone help me out there:  With a group of 204 people all born in 1944, what number would be expected to be living in 2012?  How many can we expect to die in the next 5 years?


2 comments:

  1. What was the gender distribution? Can you attribute any of it to military service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the graduating class was 51% boys, 28 of the 41 deaths have been male and 13 female. None of the deaths appear to be military service related but there were a couple that could have been related to dangerous occupations such as heavy machinery used in road construction. I figure by now all the high risk factors will have taken their toll. But maybe not.

    ReplyDelete