Thursday, July 19, 2012

What good is a reunion anyway?

Now that it is over a month since we held our 50th High School reunion, I feel that it is time to do a post mortem, an autopsy if you will.

Of course in deciding whether the reunion was a success or not, one has to set out some criteria for judging. Which brings me to the question: "What good is a reunion anyway?"  As I tried to encourage classmates to attend I got lots of opinions on this topic ranging all the way from "No good" to "a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with former friends and classmates."  I don't think I met anyone who felt that a reunion was essential to life and there were certainly a number of classmates who weren't at all interested in maintaining any kind of connection with the school.  The scar tissue was still tender.

As I mentioned to many of my classmates, I have only good memories of high school because I have forgotten all the bad experiences.  I was worried that seeing some of my old classmates would trigger old emotions of resentment, exclusion, or hurt feelings.  After all, there are still "in" groups among those who still live in Springville and still communicate regularly.  But I didn't see it.  Everyone seemed to truly accept everyone else.

On the other hand, I don't see many long term friendships being formed or changed as a result of the reunion.  Maybe one or two.  After all, we're all getting on in age and pretty set in our ways.  While retirement might free some people for more travel or less restriction, church missions, health, and family responsibilities will make some less able to travel and visit as much as they say they'd like to.

The one comment I did NOT hear at or since the reunion is "I sure am glad _______ didn't make it here."  Even if only to extend a short greeting and thanking the person for being part of my life, I appreciated every person who made it there.  That goes for the spouses, too, who made it easier or more pleasant for the class member to attend.

If you'd like to see pictures of some of the happy people who attended the reunion, check out our Class of 1962 Website.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice recap. I agree with you about what was and wasn't said. My only regret about the reunion is that some of us didn't/couldn't make it; I felt it almost as a personal loss and wished they would have been there. I am still feasting on the good feelings I experienced with every individual I spoke with. I am also feeling very indebted to you for your humor and helpfulness.

    ReplyDelete