Thursday, February 22, 2007

Glenn Gary - musician and caregiver

One of the more frustrating things about my service for Meals on Wheels has been the need to get the food delivered in a timely manner which sort of gets in the way of getting to know some of the men and women I deliver the meals to. But I still manage to squeeze in a couple of minutes' visit with one or two each Thursday which is my delivery day. That's how I've gotten to know a little about this gentleman - Glenn Gary or, as he is also known as, Glenn Tomlinson.

Glenn was something of a utility man for several bands in the 60's and 70's, playing in almost every state and several foreign countries. Although the Hammond B-3 organ was his most versatile instrument, he also played 11 different horns and woodwinds, guitar, and piano. He often sang along with his own accompaniment or had a horn in one hand while he played accompaniment on the organ with the other.

He has shared with me a CD sample of his wide repertoire as well as a flyer and photo of him working. (Click on photo for a larger picture.) The music works for both easy listening as well as background mood music.

He had to make a decision early in his career between medicine and music and it was a difficult choice since he was good at both. But music was his greatest love and won out. Still, he's a doctor at heart. Now, after a great musical career he spends most of his time caring for his bride of 7 months. She tells me she has a musical history as well. I guess I need to have several more interesting discussions with this couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment