Monday, February 26, 2007

Pleasant surprise

It's that time of year again when I finally face the file drawer where I have been stuffing all the tax related junk since last year. I grudgingly sort out all the W-2's, 1099's, and assorted other statements and envelopes declaring "Important Tax Information Inside". Turbo Tax isn't perfect, but it does help organize the process and asks the right questions to get most of the proper income and deductions in their proper place.

For a while, it looked like my change in employment status from employee to part-time consultant was going to leave our taxes grossly underpaid and we'd end up with a hefty payment to the Feds, maybe even a penalty for underwithholding.

But coming to the rescue was our purchase last year of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid and the $2,600 tax credit that purchase generated. That's almost like three free car payments! Our tax bill was reduced to something more manageable and I could breathe a sigh of relief as I submitted our return.

No comments:

Post a Comment