Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Magpies on the roof

One of the joys of retirement is working alone in the house or reading and enjoying the quiet. With my hearing aid off or removed, it is even quieter. But it can also be somewhat creepy. Houses aren't always quiet. That may be why some people prefer a little noise of a pet or the radio/stereo or even listening to an audio book.

Lately, I've been hearing sounds like someone is working on our roof - little tap tap taps, or scrapes. Sometimes it sound like little people are sunning back and forth or drawing on the roofing shakes. And usually when I got out into the yard to look and see who is working or playing up there, I can't see anything.

But recently, I walked out quietly and looked up on the roof. There were more than a dozen magpies standing, pecking, scraping, and walking around on our roof. A couple saw me and flew away. The others went about their business. I clapped my hands and they all scattered.

Of course if I were superstitious I'd check out Old Superstitions.com and find that:
"Seeing a single magpie - bad luck. A single magpie circling the house - portent of death. Greeting a magpie is said to remove the bad omens it brings. A single magpie on a roof - the building will never fall down. Chattering in a tree near a house - arrival of a stranger. Chinese belief - a magpie is good luck and should never be killed"


But I'm not.

1 comment:

  1. We had a similar problem a few years ago. We always thought it was crows, but I could never catch them at it, or figure out what they were doing!

    ReplyDelete