Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Passing the time away

Carolyn and I have very different ways of reading books. I like to sit in a comfortable chair and read at my own speed, pausing when I need to reflect on something or rereading when I need to understand something better. Carolyn prefers to listen to a book on tape or CD using a portable player so she can multi-task. The audio book occupies her mind while her hands are busy on otherwise mindless tasks such as pruning rose bushes or pulling weeds or folding laundry.

I'm not convinced that her way of reading is always the best but our recent trip to Southern California has pretty much convinced me that it sure is a nice way to pass the time of driving long distances. We checked out two Nevada Barr murder mysteries, "Flashback" and "High Country", listening to one on the way down and the other on the way back. And the highway time just flew by.

There was a time when I would have thought that conversation would be better than listening to an audio book but without kids and other distractions, we have lots of time to talk to one another. Besides, listening to a story together gives us just one more thing to talk to each other about.

No comments:

Post a Comment