Thursday, May 03, 2007

Overprotective service providers

One of the nice things about Google's Blogspot service is that it is completely free. They host this blog with its hundreds of inane entries and dozens of amateurish photos for nothing. They can't even claim that the expense is offset by my paying a monthly fee for an Internet connection which, I suppose, is how my web site provider justifies the "free service" we have there.

One of the bad things about Google's Blogspot service is that sometimes you get what you pay for. For free they obviously can't put their best engineers on the project or solve your problems as quick as you'd like. However, it appears that a paid service doesn't do very well on that either.

I used to get notified by email of every comment that was posted to this blog. About three weeks ago this notification stopped. But of course with as few comments as my blog gets, this wasn't exactly noticeable right away. My first thought was that Blogspot had screwed something up again. Turns out that probably isn't the case. When I changed the notification address to an alternate email account, the notification comes through. Now it appears that Surewest.net is filtering content from blogger.com. Mail from blogger.com doesn't ever appear in my inbox or spam folder. I've submitted a request for a fix and have received the automatic notice that says I can expect an answer within 48 to 72 hours.

So if you don't see me commenting on a comment as much, blame it on my hypervigilant email service provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment