Thursday, May 24, 2007

Meals on Wheels - extended friendship?

I see the 18 to 20 people on my Meals on Wheels route once a week and except for rare occasions I spend less than 2 or 3 minutes at their home making small talk, asking about their children or their health. But with all the other clients waiting for their meals and my wanting to get those meals to them before noon, I really can't spend what I would consider quality time.

So it has come as a bit of a surprise to me how attached I get to some of the recipients and how attached they seem to be to me. I would have thought I'd be just "the Thursday driver" but many of them call me by name and most of them know my car by sight.

Today, the Tomlinsons notified me that they'd be moving in the coming week but they would sure like to keep in touch. They provided me with their new address and phone number and requested mine. They're actually moving closer to home which will make visiting easier. I'm delighted they made the first move because I wouldn't have know whether it would have been appropriate for me to ask for their address.

No comments:

Post a Comment