Saturday, January 12, 2008

Always ask for a second opinion

I'm told that the weight of a human body can vary several pounds over the course of the day depending on eating habits, water retention, exercise, etc. I'm not sure that I want to believe that but I certainly can't otherwise explain why my weight will go up on a day that I eat little and exercise a lot then go down on a day that I eat a lot and exercise little. It may even be because we have a digital readout on our bathroom scales so you can really see slight variations. When Ed and Tiffany stayed with us recently, they commented about how our bathroom scales varied so much over a day's time.

So I decided to take advantage of a recent sale at Costco and bought a Weight Watchers's approved scale that displays weight to one tenth of a pound. I think that is plain silly if the average error is on the order of 0.5 pounds. But anyway, we only did what health experts are always suggesting: We got a second opinion.


(old scale is on the left)

2 comments:

  1. have you found a difference between the two scales?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had that much experience with it yet but the new scale seems to be consistently lower than the other scale by 0.5 to 1.8 pounds. It's a little hard to compare because the old one rounded off (or up, or down) to the nearest pound while the new one rounds off (or up or down) to the nearest 1/10 pound.

    ReplyDelete