Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Public pay = public disclosure ???

The Sacramento Bee published a big article this morning regarding pay increases for state workers and specifically the pay increases for those already making $100,000 or more per year. It seems like it is another example of the rich getting richer while the poor make do.

As a byproduct of this article, however, the Bee put together a searchable database of all state employees and their departments and base salaries. Needless to say this has caused a bit of stress and consternation among state employees, many of which have let the Bee know what they think about this "invasion of privacy". Even those who concede that it is legal to do so think it shouldn't be done - one of those just because we can doesn't mean we should.

I don't know how long the database will be available but in case you're interested here is the link: www.sacbee.com/statepay

5 comments:

  1. I understand that similar pay is necessary at times to get qualified people to come out of the business sector, but I also think that you have to appeal to their altruistic side because the state just can't compete without angering a lot of people.

    I think the list could lead to a lot of angst between various people; work, school, friends. A lot of people that are not political at all are affected as well. And a whole lot of people are employed by the state.

    Although I appreciate full disclosure, I think it will be used for more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be done with less specific information. (Say the average salary for deans of UC's, etc.) Some I think need full disclosure like state senators, but for many of them, the salary is only a small part of their income.

    On the issue of appealing to their altruism, there is something to that, but people have to make a living, and they will want the best living they can get. It was a very difficult decision for me to leave Chapman (a more service / altruistic oriented position) but a 60% pay raise wasn't something I could scoff at. You can probably be 10-20% below market and get good candidates, but you run into trouble if you go much below that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very surprised when the union sent me an e-mail about the Bee's database. I was even more surprised that they were right! As a state employee, I've always known the the salary range for any position is available to the public, but to see my full name, employer, and exact salary out there was somewhat uncomfortable. I agree with you, Arnold--just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody has mentioned the Supreme Court's recent rulings about time limits on pay discrimination lawsuits. If everyone's pay rate were this public, there would be little chance of a person's going more than a handful of years without realizing they were being discriminated against.

    ReplyDelete