Sunday, March 14, 2010

CPAP - Class

No, that's not CRAP, it's CPAP or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.  My sleep test a few weeks ago determined that without continuous  positive air pressure in my airway I actually stop breathing which isn't a good thing.  Between normal breathing and not breathing at all I snore loudly and a lot.  I don't even have to fall asleep to snore - just relax a little.  

Anyway, I've now been on the machine (pictured below next to our bed) two nights - long enough to think that I may be able to get used to it, not long enough to see any benefits yet.  Actually, I"m working into it as I could only take it 2 hours the first night and 4 hours the second night.  Sometime this week I should be able to sleep through the night with it.


Before using the machine I had to attend a class at the Kaiser hospital.  The Respiratory Therapist (RT) was certainly qualified enough but spent too much time introducing herself and the machine and not enough time on fitting the masks and explaining what "therapy" will actually consist of.  She hinted that we would be meeting again but didn't say when or how.


For a machine that belongs to each patient, I found the RT quite possessive. We were shown how everything fits into a nice carrying case but not given a chance to try it ourselves.  We were shown how to see what the air pressure setting is but not allowed to set it or even see how to set it.

But the biggest problem I had with the class is that by the time we got to fitting on the masks there was little time left.  The RT barely had time to demonstrate how to put a mask on let alone how to adjust it.  A couple of us ended up with a choice of two masks and there was no discussion of which one would be best for us or how one would even choose.  Actually there was some argument whether we would be allowed to choose.

In spite of the class, I have been able to adjust the mask and use the machine.  I'm impressed how the machine can sense the breathing resistance or need for air and adjust it's pressure accordingly.  Now I'm waiting to be impressed by a good night's sleep and a more healthy, peppy day.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I have used a cpap for about 17 years and have gone through about 5 different configurations of mask. Currently I use very comfortable nasal pillows. If your therapist was at APRIA, you should know that "therapist" means salesperson. Good sleeping, but increased vigor by using the life preserving unit is over rated. By the by, SMUD has a reduced electricity rate for cpap users. Make sure you apply for this.

    ReplyDelete