Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Too good to be true??

We all know "there aint no such thing as a free lunch" or TANSTAAFL as made famous by the science fiction writer Robert Heinlein.  Still, every once in a while a company will introduce some special pricing that is so convoluted that it actually does produce what appears to be a "free lunch".  In this case I'm talking about our cable TV provider Surewest who is currently offering their Advanced Digital TV system.

As near as I can tell AD-TV is their fancy name for their Digital Video Recorder or DVR.  We tried their DVR back when HD first arrived but the software was so inferior to TIVO that we couldn't stand it - and we don't use TIVO except for two or three favorite programs.  Anyway, they claim to have significantly upgraded both their DVR hardware and software.  AND for a limited time they are offering this upgrade for an additional $2 a month.  In addition (or should I say in subtraction) since we have bundled phone and Internet service with the TV we will have our phone reduced $5 a month and Internet $10 a month for 6 months.  Let's see -- $15 a month for six months is $90 savings.  So my breakeven point is 45 months!  And if it truly is better than TIVO we can save an additional $15 a month so we come out ahead forever!

Surewest Advanced Digital TV, here we come.  Installation date is 3/25.  Review will follow.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Loveridge - We hope you are happy with the new ADTV service. I work for SureWest and also have the service at my home. The whole home DVR capability is awesome and I especially like the live picture-in-picture so you can see if a show is in commercial before changing the channel. I'd love to hear more about your experience with ADTV once you are installed. You can contact me directly at a.chacon@surewest.com.
    Thanks!
    Anne Chacon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed at the comments you manage to get Dad :)

    ReplyDelete