Monday, September 13, 2010

6,000 mile checkup



Saw my neurologist this week for my 6,000 mile/6 month checkup.  This is the man who will oversee and monitor my progress down the path of Parkinson's disease, presumably until I die or lose Kaiser coverage, whichever occurs first.  He's a good doctor to have - knowledgeable, sympathetic, and most of all young.  He should be able to survive me.

After discussing a long list of things that "Parkinson's Disease for Dummies" says I should discuss with my doctor, he asks me to walk 15 or 20 feet down the hallway.  Miraculously, I walk almost perfectly.  I said almost. The good doctor announces that I am at virtually the same clinical stage that I was at 6 months ago but that my brain and nerve cells are undoubtedly still progressing down the path of self-destruction.  I shouldn't get my hopes up.

He is a good doctor.  He is kind.  It is kind to quash unrealistic hopes, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Let's get him a copy of "good bedside manners for dummies"

    ReplyDelete