Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Google, Googler, Googlest

Google is a search engine, right? With it, you can find something on virtually every topic known to man if it is mentioned on some web site somewhere. But were you aware that Google does much, much more than that? Do you know, for instance, that you can search for weather, travel information, or stock quotes? You can find reviews and showtimes for movies showing in your area. You can ask to see a snapshot of websites as they were last captured by Google, even websites that no longer exist on the Net. Looking up a definition is as easy as typing "define dipsomania" in the search box (without quotes).

One of the fascinating usages I just discovered was as a calculator. Unlike your pocket calculator, Google allows words and phrases such as "two fortnights" or "$25 in Euros". Just type your caculation question in the spot you'd normally type in the query. Google decides that you don't really want to look something up. You want an answer and it gives it to you.

Here's a link to a great Google Cheat Sheet that lists all Google Services and tools as well as background information on the company. Much of this information is available right on the Google main help page.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience has been with creative uses for Google or one of it's offspring.

1 comment:

  1. Actually I was rather disappointed. I typed in "my future wife" and all it did was link me up with dating sites. It can tell me what a yacto eV is but not the love of my life. What good is that.

    ReplyDelete