Saturday, April 15, 2006

Malibu ants

We have a nice set of Malibu lamps lighting the path from our driveway to our front door. At least they were until a couple of weeks ago when they stopped functioning. It was raining so much at the time (and still is) that I couldn't just step out into the garden and check out the system without sinking to my ankles in mud. But when I did open up the timer to see if it had stalled, the thing was teeming with ants. I don't know if it was shelter, warmth, or actual electricity they were craving but they had managed to make the timer completely non-functional. Even turning it manually would not let power reach the lights. Of course, I didn't feel comfortable working on the timer with ants crawling all over my hands so I sprayed the ant killer and waiting for another day.

When we got another break in the clouds, I checked out the timer again. No more ants but still no power. Fortunately, I had a replacement timer and 10 minutes later the lights were back on. Well, all but one of the lamps were back on. That lamp was crawling with ants. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment