Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be atheists

From the Minnesota Daily I read that "U.S. Trust Lowest for Atheists".

According to the article:
Based on a telephone survey of more than 2,000 households and in-depth interviews with more than 140 people, researchers found that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, homosexuals and other groups as “sharing their vision of American society.” Americans are also least willing to let their children marry atheists.

“It tells us about how Americans view religion,” said Penny Edgell, an associate sociology professor and the study’s lead researcher. “Many Americans seem to believe some kind of religious faith is central to being a good American and a good person.”


Isn't that interesting. Apparently it is much better to have the wrong religion than not having one at all. We certainly have seen that here in Sacramento with avowed atheist Michael Newdow. He's the one who feels so strongly about the separation of church and state that he has made a second career of trying to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance and off our money. Silly of us not to think of putting God's name there in the first place. Newdow is reviled as much for being an atheist as for attempting to clarify the line between church and state.

Needless to say, this finding surprises no atheist. They've heard it all. It probably goes back to the anti-communist furor of the 50's when atheism was made synonymous with communism which was as low as anyone could get. And once you believe something irrationally, there is no way that reasoning can overcome it. On the other hand, some Christians can accept atheists because, as Marantha Christian Fellowship President says, "I don’t believe that anybody is really an atheist. I believe that deep down everyone knows there is a god.”

What do you think? Do atheists exist? And is it better to believe in the wrong god than no god at all?

4 comments:

  1. I think it is ridiculous for people to associate a lack of religion with a lack of moral vision. I've met good and bad people among both atheists and the religious. As an atheist myself (who was been repeatedly told I'll "grow out of it"), I don't see how religious beliefs can be assumed to be the only way to build personal integrity. I got far more of my moral values and compassion for others from my volunteer work with Camp Fire as a child and the excellent example of my parents than from any religious doctrine. As for the existence of atheists... I obviously believe they do exist, but they are nothing to fear or distrust. A lot of them are just good people with a different view of the world that is no more or no less valid than your own. As for the question of if it is better to believe in the wrong god or no god... I believe that it is best to believe whatever gives you peace and feels like truth to you personally because the peace and truth you feel in your own life will radiate outward to benefit us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent comment. And an opinion that is widespread in Europe. Now how do we get that across to the “believing” American public?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) The primary reason I tend to avoid discussions about religion and politics is because I know that no matter how clear your stance, you cannot argue someone into thinking the way you do. As far as Europe is concerned, they have a radically different history than the U.S. The Europeans I have met feel that we are backward and under-evolved. I do not agree with that. Every society is out of balance in some way, and we can hardly expect perfect tolerance all the time. We are only human. I suspect acceptance will come gradually, possibly over many generations. Really, there are far more significant problems in our country than whether or not I am respected as an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, since many eastern "religions" (budism and confusionism come to mind) are in some sense "atheistic" or at least "agnostic". They tend to see all this worry about an unseen god, and the afterlife as rather getting ahead of ourselves when we have so much to deal with in the present observable world. Even though I do believe in God, I still believe the primary test of a religion is how it affects the present.

    ReplyDelete