Saturday, May 06, 2006

The garbageman cometh...too soon


The other day as I opened the garage door and began driving my car out to go to work, I noticed the garbage truck at the entrance to our street. Oh no, I thought, I completely forgot. Now sometimes we can get away with not taking our garbage out because they pick up trash every week and often we have so little trash that it doesn't matter. The green waste or the recycling bin is another matter as these are taken on alternate weeks and if we miss one it means four weeks between emptying. This week was the recycling bin and I knew it was full.

Leaving the car halfway out of the garage, I bolted into the backyard and ran out to the front of our driveway pushing the recycling bin ahead of me. I got there just as the green truck did. The driver glanced quickly at the bin I had just sat down and drove on past. It was then I realized I had brought the wrong bin. Usually, the green waste or recycling trucks get here first but this time the trash truck had arrived first and I had brought out the recycling bin.

Quickly I rushed back to roll out the trash bin hoping that maybe the truck would stop on his way out of our little private roadway. By the time I got the bin out he was already on the other side of the oak tree. I thought it was a lost cause. I gave my best "please, please" begging look. He took pity and drove back forty feet to make the collection. Sometimes I'm grateful for the smallest things.

No comments:

Post a Comment