Friday, August 25, 2006

Another hybrid

Once again I've scored!

I'm always a little nervous about going back to school for a new semester. Because I've had great teachers and great classes, each new semester I'm afraid I will be disappointed and have to drop the class or settle for second best. And I have dropped a couple of classes after one or more disappointing class sessions.

This semester I am in Kamau Kinuthia's Economics 302 (Macroeconomics) class which is designed as a hybrid class - half in the classroom setting, half on-line. And that was exactly what the first class session was. We spent 30 to 40 minutes discussing the syllabus then another 30 minutes in the computer lab making sure that everyone had an email account and knew how to access eLearning services where we'll find our homework assignments, quizzes, on-line discussions. It doesn't appear at this time that we will have any set times for chat sessions except maybe on an informal basis.

Now, of course, since one archaeology class made me an archaeologist, one creative writing class made me a creative writer, and one guitar class made me an expert guitarist, I expect four months from now to be able to expound great economic theories and to be asked to the White House to explain how to grow the U.S. economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment