Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Power protection

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

The Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD as it's known in Sacramento) is offering to install and RENT me a device that will be placed at the location where power from their lines enters my house. This device will protect me from power surges caused by weather, bad power lines, accidents, etc. For only $6.95 per month I can get clean (not uninterrupted, mind you, just clean) power from SMUD. Isn't that sort of like the gas station offering to rent me a fuel filter to use while I'm filling my tank? Or the grocer offering, for a small extra fee, to wash the fruits and vegetables I buy there? The fact is that only a monopoly can get away with such a tactic and make it sound like a wonderful benefit. After all, I can't easily plug my house into some other company's power lines.

4 comments:

  1. I'm confused, what is "clean" energy in this sense? I guess there may be some way to sell whole house surge protectors if you can get someone to put it on for you.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ... it's something that should be on everyone's meter. But the problem is that would cost everyone slightly more, and people who don't have a lot of high-priced electronics (seniors, the poor) would probably rather have a lower electric bill. Even though SMUD rates are about the lowest in the state already, and more than one-third less than PG&Es ... with the No. 1 rating in both residential and business customer satisfaction. Must be doing something right.

    Monopoly? Puh-lease. You had a choice a few years ago to choose your electric provider in the state. How'd that work out for you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again ... I love your blog, by the way. It's smart, well-written and idealogically independent. You think for yourself ... what a novelty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't sing the praises of SMUD enough but I also think they can do better. It's just that monopolies don't have as much incentive to do better. On the other hand, just offering the whole house surge protector is better than nothing.

    And anyone who thinks the "choice" Californians were offered between electric utilities was really a choice, doesn't understand what a free market really is. It was about as useful as choosing which checkout line to stand in at Safeways.

    ReplyDelete