Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Intellectual Solitaire

I came across this blog entry in WELCOME TO THE SUCK blog and thought it was a clever little game. I think I was lucky in that the first 3 times I tried it, it took between 3 and 10 clicks to come up with an article I felt comfortable saying I was familiar with.

Try it and post a comment about how well you do.


Monday, August 07, 2006
A new Wikipedia game to test your smarts!

Check this out, I'm pretty sure I invented this game.

Go to the Wikipedia website. Click on the "Random Article" link from the menu on the left. Count how many random articles you have to click before you see something you'd heard of or know about. My average so far is about 11 clicks. As such, I've come up with this general grading system, with absolutely no consideration given to complicated algorythms or odds:

36 or more clicks: Forrest Gump.
31-35 clicks: Read a friggin' book.
26-30 clicks: Read a friggin' book without pictures.
21-25 clicks: Smarter than Belinda Stronach.
16-20 clicks: You read a newspaper once a week or are halfway through the Penguin Book of Facts.
10-15 clicks: Damn, you're getting smarter.
5-9 clicks: You own an impressive intellect, are well-read, and probably don't have a girlfriend.
2-4 clicks: Join Mensa.
1 click: What's up, God?

Give it a try, and if you want, tell me how you did. It's fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm not certain I fully get the rules. It took me 3 tries to find something I had no idea about and had never heard of, but at least 6 to find one I could say I was familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was kinda mine. The First three I had no familiarity, but the fourth was on Canadian government offices, and since I have listened to late night NPR (when they run a bit of the Canadian equivalent) I have heard some mention of many of them. But that's not really knowing about them. The seventh click was about Beethoven's corolian overture, which I'm pretty sure I have played but can't remember a note of. So what counts?

    ReplyDelete