Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Jerky time

For the past 5 years I've given out small packets of beef jerky to friends and co-workers. It's become so popular that several people were worried that my retirement might mean an end to the practice. What can I say?

Today I started on the first of many batches by grinding the "special" spices with my mortar & pestle to ensure as even a distribution as I can through the hamburger.

The meat is then extruded through a special press that forms long strips almost like bacon. The strips are laid out on the trays of our dehydrator.

Using three pounds of lean ground beef, I fill up 7 dehydrator trays then turn on the dehydrator for 6 to 7 hours.

The result is a product that isn't as salty or strong as some you find in the stores. And as I said, it will be in high demand this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment