Thursday, November 09, 2006

RSVP - Retired Senior Volunteer Program

My quest for interesting and useful activities to do since retiring has become significantly easier. Sacramento County is one of the agencies which has an agreement with and grant from the Corporation for National Service, an arm of AmeriCorps. RSVP is a national program with some federal funding but it is locally administered. I'll have to say, it appears that at least on first sight it is administered well in Sacramento.

I made an appointment with the Director of Volunteers this morning and was treated to a couple of hours description of the program and several dozen agencies in the area who have need of volunteer assistance. It appears that RSVP is not only a handy central referral agency but they also track to some degree the satisfaction of the volunteers who sign up with each agency. This provides a certain amount of quality control as agencies who don't seem to keep their volunteers don't get any more, at least through RSVP.

The choices I saw were so many and so varied that I decided I needed to do more homework rather than select what I wanted right there. But I suspect I will have a much better chance of finding good opportunities through RSVP than if I had just myself and the phone book.

No comments:

Post a Comment