Saturday, November 25, 2006

Yuck of makeup

One of the more difficult aspects for me in participating in Oliver! has been the need to wear make-up. Women who wear make-up regularly or even occasionally probably can't relate to the distaste I feel in having to put on make-up. I thought at first that I could get by without it. The first couple of days of Tech Week I did not put any on. Then the director in one of her past-rehearsal briefings asked if someone would volunteer to "help Mr. Brownlow with his make-up". Subtle.

Carolyn volunteered to help me the next evening. We went shopping for appropriate materials keeping it as simple as I could. There was no question that I had to suppress the shininess of my face and bald head, my eyebrows tend to disappear behind my glasses, and my lips need darkening. I observed Carolyn's technique that first night and have been able to reasonably repeat it for subsequent performances. Another actor's wife who continues to apply his make-up even complemented me on my make-up.

But I'll never enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment