Friday, December 08, 2006

Curtain Call

The play is over. The set is struck. The performers have gone their several ways - some to other plays, others to get a breath or two before tackling another role or another of life's challenges. Steve and Jan, of course, are as wed to the DMTC as they are to each other - the theater being almost an extension of their physical bodies. They're still around.

Now that I've finished with my role in "Oliver!", the questions I get most often are "Was it fun?" "Will you do it again?" The first question is the easier. Yes, I had fun - although not at first and not consistently. But it was definitely more fun the more we all felt comfortable with each other, the more we felt comfortable with the play and the more positive feedback we received. I may indeed be getting too old to do it again. I don't mean too old physically but too set in my ways and too demanding of myself and others. I don't tolerate fools well and there is plenty of foolishness in the production of a play or the operation of a theater.

The time commitment was more than I expected. I compulsively kept a time log so I know the time I spent but I can't tell how representative that is of the rest of this cast or that of other musicals or plays. I spent slightly over 110 hours at the theater and another 45 driving back and forth to the theater so this amounted to a 155 hour commitment which is almost a complete month of full-time work. This, of course, doesn't count the endless hours of fretting about my lines or dealing with feelings of impending doom before each show.

Overall, it was a positive experience. I have much more respect and admiration for the people who plan, direct, perform in, and support plays. I think I will be more tolerant of mistakes and unfortunate accidents as well as more appreciative of a job well done. And I will treasure the all-too-brief friendships I made with cast and crew of "Oliver!". Thanks to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment