Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Health questionnaire

By virtue of being a member of the Kaiser health care plan, I have been the subject of a small number of health surveys, a couple of them extending over several years. The latest one I filled out was one designed to track men of my approximate age group over a number of years. It was quite comprehensive asking questions about diseases across the whole spectrum - heart, lungs, stomach, and even the brain with questions about emotional disturbances and memory loss. It also included questions about the frequency and volume of my snoring - a question I had to have help with since I am usually totally in the dark (pun intended) about that.

I don't know if I'll ever hear about or get to read the results of the study but it does have one immediate result I do know about - I'm grateful to be in the shape I'm in compared to what I could have. As I go down the list of ailments and symptoms, I'm happy that I need to check so few. I haven't been hospitalized for 60 years and although my high blood pressure is serious, it doesn't prevent my having a very normal life. Pain in my muscles and joints is slowing my piano playing and computer keyboarding down but that also is hardly life threatening. All in all, I'm very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment