Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Egg-zactly right


Shows you what I know! I was trying to be helpful at the local Sam's Club the other day. A couple of women were fussing around the eggs trying to find the right ones. They thought the organic ones were too pricey. I suggested the best bargain were the Grade AA Extra Large eggs packed in 18-egg cartons. Well, you would have thought I had suggested something obscene! "You can't cook with those eggs," one lady remarked with a shocked look on her face. "You'll get way too much egg if you use those." Just then she found the Large eggs (at twice the price) so the conversation ended. I put my Extra Large eggs in my basket wondering if I should tell the corned beef hash that my fried eggs are "way too much".

The woman was right, of course. I checked the USDA web site and found the following information:

Select by Weight (Size)
(U.S. Weight Class)

Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. Eggs of any weight (size) class may differ in quality. Most published recipes are based on large-size eggs.

Size or weight class - Minimum net weight per dozen
Jumbo - 30 ounces
Extra Large - 27 ounces
Large - 24 ounces
Medium - 21 ounces
Small - 18 ounces
Peewee - 15 ounces


Clearly, using Extra Large when I should use a Large egg is adding 1/4 ounce (1/2 T) of egg to my recipe. No wonder I can't cook a proper quiche or bake a decent cake. But at least my fried eggs turn out wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment