Saturday, June 21, 2008

Another Adventure Begins

A couple of my most memorable experiences have been times I've spent visiting relatives for extended periods. One summer I spent two months with my father's Uncle Leonard and Aunt Hazel in Salt Lake City while attending some summer courses at the University of Utah and another summer I spent six weeks with my Uncle Merlin & Aunt Gwen in Milton-Freewater, Oregon thinning apples and driving pea harvesting trucks. Both of these experiences happened when I was in high school. Other than these, the only time I was away from home without my family was the one week scout camps that I attended from age 12 on up.



I did not have the experience of extended stays from home as early in my life as our two grandsons Ben and Michael are going to have. They arrived yesterday with their parents and younger sister in what looked like a normal vacation stop. Ed and Tiffany with their three children showed up and we all had a good, rollicking time. Well, everyone except maybe Camran.




Today was pretty wild as Ed and his two older boys came over again to play with their cousins. He actually had an ulterior motive - borrowing our van to pick up a piece of plywood for a self-designed bed he's building.


Then we all piled into two vehicles and hit Costco for lunch. Carolyn and I used the opportunity to replenish the food supply in our freezer and the tools and picture frame that the burglars took from our home a couple weeks ago. It made quite an impressive pile as well as an impressive cost. Since we now use our security alarm system, we're hopeful that they won't repeat their behavior.

The last major event today was a trip to the library where we got library cards for Ben & Michael and had them each check out a book. Every time I interact with the library staff I expect them to know me better than they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment