Tuesday, June 03, 2008

General Election, really?

I must confess. Today was a general election and I not only did not vote, I do not even remember getting a voter information packet, a sample ballot, or the notice of where our polling place would be located. This is so rare I can't remember when the last time was.

I think we got a total of 4 election flyers/cards and two telemarketing calls that left messages about who to vote for. Since we screen all our calls, there is a possibility that we got more calls but didn't leave a message. I just couldn't get interested, let alone excited about any of the candidates or issues on the ballot.

Which brings up the issue: When you aren't familiar with the candidates or issues is it
better to stay home and not vote at all; or
better to mark one or two candidates or issues that you've heard about and leave the others blank; or
make a choice (randomly) on all those candidates and issues for which you have no preference.

It seems to me that a blank vote or a missing voter sends the message "none of the above" or "couldn't care less". What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I think a missing voter and a blank vote send two distinct different messages. A missing voter just suggests apathy which many campaigns count on. (If only your loyal supporters come you don't need as many people to believe in you.) Actually showing up and turning in a blank ballot says you cared enough to come, but were unsatisfied with the options.

    Which is better probably depends on which message you actually want to send.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how it would change the nature of the innitiative and referendum process if there were certain quorum requirements for laws to pass. All other legislative bodies require that a certain fraction of the players be present to vote. It would end the practice (which annoys me) of trying to get measures on to ballots at obscure times so that its proponents have augmented influence.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our 88 year old neighbor gave me some advice for when you don't know who to vote for. She said to look at who is currently in office, if you haven't heard anything about them, then vote for them, because they are probably doing a good job. I didn't ask about when all the candidates are new. At least she still gets out and votes. Personally, I never thought to turn in a blank ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always vote, if only to vote no on the propositions that I disagree with or can't see any reason for. I was a precinct worker for the 5th time, and this was the worst turnout ever - we had 86 voters out of a possible 600+.

    You really lucked out (in one sense) on the lack of political mail. We got several pieces a day; one day we got three from the same campaigner!

    ReplyDelete