Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Instant Crown

One thing I can definitely say about our dental group and that is that the group really is trying to stay up with current technology. I've already talked about the initial examination and the 360 degree x-ray machine as well as the computer that the hygienist talks to when he's examining the gum levels. Today I was introduced to the crown maker, a CAD/CAM application that is changing the way dentists fit and install crowns (or caps as the PC term.).

Even as recent as a year ago getting a tooth capped required a couple of hours and at least two visits to the dentist. The reason for this is that the cap was produced in a laboratory that specializes in such caps. Turnaround time would be anywhere from 2 to 14 days.

I was expecting having to have a second appointment when the dentist and his assistant began making preparations for installing the final crown. I glanced to the side to see the dental assistant working on a 3-D representation of my existing tooth and root. This representation was obtained with a special 3-D mouth camera. The crown was also represented in 3-D and was as close to the size, shape, etc. of the old tooth's chewing surfaces.

Then I heard other comments. Or should I say I heard murmurs that I couldn't quite make out. A manufacturer's rep took over the CAD/CAM machine. The next thing I hear is that the computer is acting up today so they'd fit me with a temporary crown and I could return in a week or two for the final fitting. The dental assistance explained that the computer wasn't working. We needed to schedule another appointment. Finally, they had all they needed from me. I was given a temporary crown and told to return in two weeks.

Well, sometimes technology moves ahead in fits and starts. But at least they're trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment