Saturday, March 28, 2009

Accepting assistance

I can tell that one of the things I am going to have trouble with as Parkinson's Disease slowly but surely takes over my body is graciously accepting assistance. Today, Carolyn & I attended Jacob's 7th birthday party. He elected to have a modest family& friends party with a bigger present than the other way around. The food was an indoor picnic with hamburgers and hotdogs. I would have needed to get up from the table several times for food, condiments, silverware, punch, etc. But before I could do any of these, someone in the group would ask what I needed and get it for me. After a while I didn't even try to get up. I just asked.

I can still get up on my own, although sometimes I appear painfully slow. So I feel bad that people assume I can't get up or that I shouldn't get up. I should let them assist me. I have this guilty feeling that someone will assist me and shortly after I will get up and do something which willl make the person who helped me think I was just trying for sympathy.

When I'm more disabled the problem should cease to exist but it sure bothers me now.

1 comment:

  1. Just figure this is how your grandsons will earn all their "good deed" points for scouting.

    ReplyDelete