Saturday, March 14, 2009

Chance Card; Bank Error in Your Favor

It came to light during a routine attempt at balancing my checkbook. There was just too much money in my bank account. Now you might be saying, "Hey, Dummy, that's not a problem!" But it is. Too much money in my account may mean that I duplicated recording a deposit or missed a major payment or some other really stupid think.

So I went online with my bank (what a wonderful way to check on things) and found that indeed there was an extra deposit - from Social Security - and the money really was in my bank account. The next task was to contact Social Security and find out why.

If I once had a password to access my Social Security account, I've long ago lost it. Didn't matter because the online access was down for maintenance. I waited until just after breakfast on Friday then called, getting a pleasant young "Service Champion". He looked at my account and said I'd get a letter explaining the extra deposit, should have had the letter already. He then read me certain paragraphs of the letter which basically said I've been underpaid so this makes it all up.

Since Carolyn and I were in the market for a new computer this extra deposit is going make us feel a little better about buying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment