Monday, March 09, 2009

And the Winner Is...

... Those with the best notification tree. I really try to write something in this blog every day - a decision that has certainly been a challenge to me but probably also a challenge to you the readers as I sometimes have a bit of writer's block.

I was sitting here this evening trying to decide which of two topics I should write about because I didn't feel particularly keen about either topic. Then my brother-in-law send me one of those chain emails calling for people to vote quickly on a particular issue. This time the vote will be so overwhelming that "NBC will be surprised!"

The question being polled this time was "Should 'In God We Trust' be removed from US coins and currency as it is plainly a violation of the principle of separation of church and state. I'll have another blog about that topic. Today I just want to talk about the voting mechanism. NBC noted that it was not a scientifically random poll as the voters are more of less self-selected. Those with little of no opinion will probably not vote whereas those with a strong opinion will not only vote, they will send along the URL for the poling place. It is also much easier to click on a button than to drive or walk to your polling place to vote. So the vote goes to those who have the best notification tree or largest database of email addresses.

What I found particularly interesting with this plea to "vote and pass it on" was the continuing not that "this will surprise NBC". The article in which the poll was embedded clearly showed that NBC expected people to overwhelmingly vote in favor of keeping God on our coins. If the people who were chain mailing this email REALLY wanted to surprise NBC, they would have asked us all to vote YES, to remove the wording. That would have made headlines instead of footnotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment